8 day photo trip to the dream island of Madeira 2024 including flight and hotel - Coach Riko Best
Explore the varied and breathtaking landscape of Madeira with us.
Escape the cold season and accompany us to the mild climate of Portugal on the main island of the Madeira archipelago off the northwest coast of Africa. The rugged volcanic landscape is crossed by levadas. The old irrigation canals with footpaths under spectacular waterfalls make this trip an unforgettable photo experience!
The experienced nature and landscape photographer Riko Best takes you on this trip to the most beautiful spots on the island and presents you with his insider photographic tips in the midst of a fantastic backdrop.
What to expect from this photography tour
- Magnificent and unique landscapes of Madeira
- Learn how to create compelling image compositions
- Storytelling in landscape photography
- How can I use the camera in manual mode?
- Taking photos with filters
- Basics of electronic image processing in Lightroom and Photoshop
- A quick introduction to apps that predict the position of the sun, like Photopills.
- Enjoy panoramic trips rich in motifs along the breathtaking stretches of coast.
- Numerous wonderful photo spots that make the heart of every photography enthusiast beat faster.
- Sunset shoots at numerous selected photo spots.
- Photographic journey of discovery into picturesque places and romantic maritime towns
- Countless possibilities to experiment with gray/polar/gradient filters and different lenses in impressive landscapes
- Individual coaching and professional photographic instructions directly at the spots
- Milky Way photography without annoying light pollution
- Basics and knowledge transfer for beginners and advanced photographers in nature and landscape photography
- Find motifs in nature and image composition for photography
- Use frames and environments as creative media.
- The basis of creative image formation or conscious breaking of design principles.
- Find the 'right' exposure and learn the effect of time and aperture
- Find the “right” exposure and understand the effects of time and aperture Handle polarization, grayscale and grayscale filters correctly.
- Use the correct focal length (lens) and choose interesting perspectives based on focal length and position.
- A short tour of image editing and image selection after photo editing.
- Lots of conversations about photography in a group of like-minded people
Is the photo trip suitable for me?
The Madeira photo tour is perfect for beginners and advanced photographers - but basically for anyone who wants to further develop their knowledge of landscape and nature photography. Due to the small group size, we have the opportunity to specifically address the individual needs of each participant. We have already welcomed participants aged 18 - 75 to Madeire and would therefore only require moderate fitness, which means you should be able to carry your photo backpack yourself on hikes of at least 1-3km (with breaks).
We give you an overview of the most important topics in landscape photography. An interesting mix of theory and practice will quickly take you from “taking photos” to real landscape photography
This photo trip focuses on practical photographic implementation. So it makes sense if you are familiar with the most important setting options for your camera (exposure time, aperture, ISO). The advantages of tripods are obvious; a light travel tripod is completely sufficient. We recommend that you have a filter holder and a simple set of starter filters.
What should I bring
- Have a good mood and enjoy photography
- SLR, system or bridge camera
- Wide angle lens and or travel zoom.
- Optical filters: We recommend a soft 0.9 GND and an ND 64 polarizing filter and other filters if necessary
- Stable tripod with ball head (no Gorilla Pod)
- A comfortable photo backpack that is also suitable for hiking.
- Memory cards, batteries, charger, remote shutter if necessary
- Clothing appropriate to the season including a light rain jacket for taking photos at the waterfalls
Travel programTrip - Day 1
You can get to Funchal from various German airports. After arriving at Christiano Ronaldo International Airport, you will be transferred by TUI to the Hotel Fourviews Oasis in Canico.
With dinner together and a short get-to-know-you session, we prepare for the next few days with an introduction to landscape photography
Get to know each other comfortably over dinner together
Trip - Day 2
Our photographic journey of discovery begins in the early hours of the morning - sunrise on the headland of Ponta de Sao with the introduction to "photography with filters".
In the afternoon there is an introduction to image editing with an image discussion.
In the evening we drive to Cristo Rei with a fantastic view of the island's capital Funchal and an impressive sunset.
Trip - Day 3
Today we start the day with a hike to Pico Ruivo, the highest mountain on the island at 1862 meters. There we photograph a spectacular sunrise.
In the afternoon it's time for "relaxed photography on the plateau" of the island.
Still not tired? From 11:30 p.m. we will focus on Milky Way photography.
Trip - Day 4
Today it's time to "get up early" again. We drive to the Ruins of St. George for sunrise. There we will focus on the topic of “long exposure on the water”.
In the afternoon we take a trip to Funchal. There we have two options available.
Option 1 (plus approx. €49) 2:30 p.m. - Whale watching with Riko and Daniel.
Option 2 - Discover Funchal on your own.
Trip - Day 5
Today the full day trip to Porto Moniz awaits us. On the way we stop at the Ponta do Pargo lighthouse and the Garganta Funda waterfall. On the way home we photograph the sunset at Ilheus da Ribeira da Janela and devote ourselves to long exposures.
Trip - Day 6
Today we drive to the Paul de Serra plateau and photograph the mystical green of the fairy forest.
The photo discussion and photo editing follows in the evening.
Trip - Day 7
On our last day together we take the picture-book hike from Rabacal to the 25 springs.
We end this intensive and eventful week with one last dinner together.
Trip - Day 8
Unfortunately, it's now time to say goodbye - we're heading home today with lots of new impressions and photos. The transfer from the hotel to the airport is carried out by TUI.
Price & Services
02.04. - 04/09/2024
Landscape photographer & coach: Riko Best & Daniel Mühlsch
- Flights from Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, Hanover, Munich on request
- Train to 2nd class flight within Germany
- Photo tour guide with Riko Best and Daniel Mühlsch
- Accommodation at the Hotel Fourviews Oasis **** in Canico - 8 days / 7 nights in a double room for single use, side sea view, breakfast
- Transfer from/to Funchal airport to the hotel and back with TUI
- All excursions as advertised; The weather often dictates the daily routine, which can be adapted to the circumstances on site
- Limited number of participants: max. 12 people
- Travel price insurance certificate according to German travel law (§§651r and 651w BGB)
per person € 2245,-